With so many different kinds of toothpaste available, you may wonder if they are all the same. Unfortunately, not all toothpaste is created equal, so it’s essential to know which toothpaste is right for you.
No matter which aspects of oral hygiene you pay the most attention to, there is likely a specific toothpaste for it. Here’s what you need to know about how to pick the right toothpaste if you’ve ever found yourself dazing out in the toothpaste aisle.
Why It’s Important to Choose the Right Toothpaste
When you have the right toothpaste, especially when combined with the right kind of toothbrush, you will be more effectively able to remove bits of food and other harmful bacteria. Not only that, but if you have a toothpaste you actually enjoy using, you’re more likely to stay on your oral care routine.
The right toothpaste can prevent cavities, keep gums healthy, and potentially lower the chances of getting a major dental issue later down the line.
What Should Every Person Look for in Toothpaste?
Most dentists agree that the top thing to look for when looking for the right toothpaste is fluoride. Fluoride, a naturally occurring mineral, helps prevent cavities by helping to remineralize weak tooth enamel. Fluoride is also known to slow down the loss of tooth enamel, prevent harmful bacteria, and even reverse tooth decay.
Once you know your toothpaste is fluoridated, the next most important thing to look for when choosing the right toothpaste is the seal of approval from the American Dental Association. The seal means it’s proven to be safe and effective by the ADA. Looking for the ADA seal can also help you identify toothpaste with fluoride as it must have this important ingredient in order to get the seal.
What About Choosing Toothpaste for Sensitive Teeth?
For people with sensitive teeth, choosing the best toothpaste is essential to lessen the symptoms and avoid any pain while brushing. Here’s what to look for when selecting the best toothpaste for sensitive teeth:
- Potassium Nitrate: This toothpaste ingredient can provide pain relief by soothing nerves deep inside your teeth, so they are less impacted by signals of pain like those from a hot or cold beverage.
- Stannous Fluoride: This ingredient is known to create a shield-type barrier that can protect the soft inner part of the tooth known as dentin from pain signals.
- Avoid whitening toothpaste: These often contain ingredients like baking soda and peroxide, increasing tooth sensitivity and exacerbating pain.
How Do I Pick the Best Whitening Toothpaste?
If your goal is to brighten and whiten your pearly whites, there are some things to consider when choosing the right whitening toothpaste. Here are some of the best ingredients to look for when choosing a whitening toothpaste:
- Hydrogen/carbamide peroxide: The same ingredients used in professional whitening treatments can break away stains./li>
- Silica or Dicalcium Phosphate: These are mild physical abrasives that gently buff away plaque and stains.
- Avoid charcoal: The ADA has not approved charcoal because it is highly abrasive and can actually cause permanent enamel damage.
How Do I Pick the Best Toothpaste for Gum Disease?
If you’re looking for the right toothpaste to help prevent gum disease, the top ingredient to look out for is stannous fluoride. This is a chemical compound that not only helps reduce sensitivity but also helps fight and kill bacteria. Controlling bacteria helps by preventing plaque, one of the leading causes of gum disease.
If you’re suffering from tartar, which is hardened plaque that only your dentist can remove, look for chemical compounds like zinc citrate or even triclosan, an antibiotic that can kill mouth bacteria.
The Dentists at Legacy Dental Can Help You Choose the Right Toothpaste
If you still aren’t sure how to find the right toothpaste for you, the dentists at Legacy Dental are here to help. No matter what your specific needs are, Legacy Dental can be your partner in oral care. Call us today at (402) 397-6453 to schedule your next dental visit.